The City in Motion Dance Performance Series is the venue in Kansas City for eclectic, family-oriented contemporary dance. Its unique programming, offering a showcase for the talents of area choreographers and performers, ensures it's appeal. Area choreographers are given the opportunity to develop new dance pieces, local dancers are given the opportunity to perform and audiences are given the opportunity to experience dance. City in Motion has a long history as a presenter of quality dance, while also challenging audiences with new and often thought-provoking performance art.
City in Motion and area dancers in concert at the historic Folly Theater, 12th and Central in downtown Kansas City, Missouri.
Download the application form (PDF) here:
Click to download the Application form
GUIDELINES - Included in the PDF application (download link above)
1. Piece running time, maximum 10 minutes.
2. Choreography must be a recent, finished piece, not previously presented at Modern Night at the Folly. Please only submit works that were created within the last year. Repertory pieces or reconstructions of repertory works will not be considered.
3. Submissions must be works from choreographers with connections to the Kansas City area and surrounding regions. Works from Missouri and Kansas based choreographers, as well artists that are former residents of Kansas City, will be considered as long as all guidelines are met. If you have any question regarding eligibility please contact production director.
4. The quality of your video is very important when submitting your piece. Works filmed on a traditional stage view best however it is not necessary. Please do not send clips or fragments of your work. We need to see your piece as a whole. Please consider video format when sending a DVD. If sending a video attachment through e-mail, please make sure that the video can be viewed by the public.
5. New for 2014: Videos will be reviewed by a panel so please provide 2 copies of your work if you are mailing a DVD.
6. If your work is chosen for the performance, all program and technical information must be provided to City in Motion by Monday, January 6, 2014. Failure to do so will result in the deduction of your piece from the program. Please note that our budget for rental of special equipment i.e. video projectors, etc… is limited and must be
discussed with our technical director if needed. If you have any questions regarding this please contact our technical director John “Moose” Kimball at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. New for 2014: City in Motion can no longer cover the costs of the Folly piano usage or aerial rigging. Choreographers wishing to use live piano accompaniment should consider using a keyboard, providing their own piano or be willing to pay partial-full cost of the Folly piano rental fees. Choreographers requiring aerial rigging will need to pay partial –full costs of aerial rigging fees. Partial fee payments would only be considered if two or more choreographers are in need of the piano/aerial rigging. Please contact Crystal Robins for further details.
8. If your work is chosen, performers used must be 18 years of age or older.
9. If your work is chosen please keep choreography true to what was submitted. We understand as choreographers you have a right to change your work. Please remember, however, that we chose your piece based on what was submitted. Please inform production and technical directors of any major changes made to your work by January 6, 2014.
10. Tech time is limited! Depending on the number of pieces presented, you will be given 45 – 60 minutes of on stage tech time on either Friday, February 7, 2014, or Saturday, February 8, 2014. Due to these limitations we encourage choreographers to use previous lighting designs/ designer and/or any technical information that you have access to.
11. Please mail hard copy applications to Moosewerks, 1414 Wyoming #6, KCMO 64102.Applications may also be emailed to email@example.com.
12. Applications must be postmarked by December 2, 2013.
13. Applicants will be notified of their selection by email on Friday, December 20, 2013. Please respond within 72 hours whether you accept or decline the invitation.
14. We are sorry, but we will not be able to return DVDs.
Every first Thursday of the month various City in Motion school dancers perform at the Uptown Arts Bar, 3611 Broadway (east side) 7 pm. This is a chance for the groups to perform and for the rest of you to see what you can learn in classes.
Modern Night at the Folly - January or February
Spring Concert - April or May
Childrens Dance Theater & Apprentice Company - June
Participation in KC Fringe - July
Dance in the Park - September